Motto

Motto

Monday, October 20, 2014

Problem Based Learning

Last week and this week during lab we were tasked with tackling Problem Based Learning. Each of the student teachers came up with lesson ideas to use the problem solving approach to instruct students. After watching my review video, I think its safe to say that it was by far my worst lab instruction yet. I had a really difficult time creating a lesson plan for the problem that I wanted to present. I introduced a goat unit to my students by suddenly "acquiring" 3 goats of various breeds. I had trouble getting the point of the lesson across and introducing the problem. I also had a lot of trouble developing higher order questions to get students to think critically. I mostly tried to get students to come up with ideas of things we needed to know about goats in order to care for them properly. This did work for a while but I did have a bit of trouble bringing them back and moving them towards a new topic. Students seemed to be engaged, but not exactly the way I wanted them to be. When this happened I got frustrated and had difficulty building enthusiasm for the topic at hand. It is safe to say that I have a long way to go when it comes to perfecting my use of the problem solving approach.

1 comment:

  1. Toby, I think we all really struggled with this lab so don't feel alone! I think you knew a lot about the subject and you were super passionate about the goats, one thing I would change is instead of having the goats there rather say we are getting goats what do we need to learn. This way you are stressing that we need to learn as much about goats as possible to take care of them, by already having them its more of how can we take care of them rather than what can we learn to take care of them. I really liked how we got to brainstorm topics we would need to learn more about however, in lab I felt it was more or less brainstorming on how to take care of them. This would be solved with introducing the unit with the fact we are getting goats rather than BAM here are three goats. I think with some more instruction you will get better with the higher order questions, I know its something I need to plan into my lessons and hopefully when student teaching rolls around you'll feel much more confident about this lesson. Keep up the good work Toby

    ReplyDelete