Motto

Motto

Friday, November 14, 2014

My First National Convention!

Midd-West FFA Horse Judging Team
Placed 16th Nationally
Laura Metrick and Myself sharing our First Ever FFA National Convention
Taking it all in!

As you all know I do not have an extensive FFA background. I never really knew much about the organization until last year. I was lucky enough to travel to the National FFA Convention in Louisville, KY the last week of October with Midd-West FFA. I had a great experience and learned a lot about the organization. I was able to take a look behind the scenes with Midd-West FFA's competing Horse Judging Team.



FFA Members from various states spectating the
 Ford Built Tough Booth Activities
It was really great for me to see a national event like this. Until now I have very much been blinded to the world not thinking about anything that was too far away from my doorstep. After being at national convention I have been thinking on a larger scale. I was able to meet people from all across the United States and talk with them about ag industries in their areas. I was amazed to hear from some folks in Washington State that they live in a desert and have very little production. When I think of Washington State, I think of the OTHER half of the state that has temperate rain forest. It is amazing to think that what rainfall we get here in PA in the coarse of a day may be the same amount of rainfall that they get in a year!




As part of my assignment while attending National Convention I was to observe inspiring and depressing moments of people's treatment towards others. Overall I have to say that I was very impressed by the respect and attitude of FFA members from across the Nation. I heard many apologies when members were bumping into each other in crowded areas, and saw people moving out of the way and making room for a young lady who had crutches while trying to navigate the convention center. One of the most inspiring things I saw was a group of FFA members stationed at the bottom of the escalator giving everyone who rode it a high five and encouraging words like "Be Awesome!, "Go Places", and "Go All Out!". (Pictured Left)


One of the more depressing things I observed while at national convention was the attitude of the adults, including parents, chaperones, and advisors. I heard many of them complaining of people "in their way", and rude comments about passers by. I was shocked to see the students being more respectful and mature than the adults!

No comments:

Post a Comment