Motto

Motto

Friday, November 14, 2014

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

The past couple weeks we have jumped into one of the toughest teaching strategies, Inquiry Based Instruction. We were able to work with experts in the field and watch first hand as they used IBI to teach their classes. While watching from the sidelines it was hard to see and appreciate the magic that was happening inside the minds of the students. After having Mr. Clark come back to our classroom later in the week and answer questions and go into more depth on the subject, it all became a little more clear.

After watching and learning we were tasked to try it out for ourselves for lab. Everyone was confused and frustrated, but I guess that's how you know its working! I did my instruction using aerial surveys to estimate elk populations in my Natural Resource Management class. I tried to make sure that I was not trying to make EVERY component student centered. I noticed quite a few of my classmates trying that and they seemed very frustrated with the results. So I tried to pinpoint each component so that I could cover the spectrum. I think I did a pretty decent job with it. One thing I do need to work on is developing higher order questions. I have a hard time thinking ahead for possible answers, this makes it hard to predict what students are going to say and makes me think on my feet. I am excited to keep trying to utilize IBI and look forward to improving my teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment