Motto

Motto

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Week Six- Short but Sweet

This week was very short due to cancelations, delays, seminar and a visit to another program. I only had two instructional days with my students which is extremely frustrating. I only have  weeks left with my students and in these next few short weeks are a few large projects! This week was definitely a lesson to myself in being able to adapt my lessons and rearrange them in a way that was still systematic for the kids, but valuable in a short time frame. I think they hardest class I had adapting was my Natural Resource class, with the delays, their class time was cut in half on the only two instructional days I had with them. I had to adapt my lessons to include the same content, but in a shorter time. On the day of our cancelation I redid one of my lessons in order to get back on track for the rest of the week so that I would not have to change my sub-plans for Thursday and Friday while I was not in class. I used my available resources and remembered a great activity I learned about in Outdoor School and refreshed my memory by looking it up in Project WILD. Then the following day had a two hour delay, so class was shortened. We were still able to play a valuable round of "Oh Deer!" but did not have all the time I wanted to go over it with them. Because of the shortened time there was no way I was going to lecture like I planned, so instead we did a think, pair, share with a couple of important concepts. I think that this actually worked better than it would have if I had lectured like I had planned. It really got the kids thinking critically and excited for the coming lessons. This week the schedule has been a challenge, but not totally in a bad way, I was able to learn from it and push forward to a new week!

1 comment:

  1. Toby.
    Never forget how valuable each instructional minute is! Bell to bell is key!

    Have a great National FFA Week.

    DF

    ReplyDelete