Motto

Motto

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Life Knowedge

I completed my life knowledge lab under the supervision or Mrs. Kellogg at Coundersport Area HS. I taught my lesson to her 2nd period, 8th grade class. I taught them about the importance of SAE and how it can lead to career development. I asked the class what an SAE was and they gave me blank stares. I had no idea they had never been introduced to this idea. Because I did not know the SAE procedures of Mrs. Kellogg's program, I started to panic. I made very general characteristics about aspects of SAE and told them about the opportunities that SAE could provide. I spent more time than I originally planned for to go over SAE. When transitioning into career development, students seemed to be more engaged. We did group work to identify the difference between jobs, careers, and tasks. After completing that assignment, I had each student write a short-term goal, long-term goal, and a career goal. I gave them some time to come up with ideas, several of the students had trouble thinking about what they might want to do when they were older. I was surprise to learn that many of the students were not thinking about careers in agriculture. This really helped me to realize that not everyone in an ag class is necessarily interested in the subject, and as the teacher I need to make sure I am engaging those students.

No comments:

Post a Comment