Motto

Motto

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Student Teaching: Week One

Let me just start y saying, "WHEW!" To be quite honest, at first I didn't know what to think about the whole experience. I was just kind of going along and helping Mrs. Weaver where I could while thinking about how I am going to do this all myself in a few weeks! I start fresh next week with a new semester, new students, and new classes! This week I assisted students while the compiled information for their wildlife species project, and helped administer their final exams. I did run into an issue with a student using his cell phone. I confiscated the phone immediately, but part of me still thinks I should have handled the situation differently. I realized in this experience that I don't know how to handle every situation! This just so happened when my cooperating teacher was NOT in the room with me to help decide how to handle it and I had to think on my feet and act quickly, I guess that sometimes you have to do just that!

I did have a good time setting up my desk this week! Its nice to have a space of my own to work! I am not used to that idea, and it really brings the whole student teaching experience to life! I am starting to get a little nervous to begin taking over classes next week! I am starting by taking over two classes, Agricultural Science, and Natural Resource Management, while co-teaching Horticulture with Mrs. Weaver. I also was able to start grading some assignments this week. I thought I was going to hate it, but I actually don't mind it at all! Its nice to flip through papers, when I actually have to read them and look through their answers, I feel quite productive!

Oh and did I mention the fun that Mrs. Weaver and I had while trying to clean out our office during our Prep Period!? Here is a short video to show just how we operate:

2 comments:

  1. Nice Video. Look forward to how your instruction goes next week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby, sounds like you had a good first week. You'll find that every experience you have as a teacher will help you develop classroom management techniques for future situations. As educators, we all learn from situations and improve for the next. Keep doing great things!

    ReplyDelete