Motto

Motto

Friday, January 23, 2015

Week Two- Trial by Fire

Week two student teaching is in the books! Time is flying! This week, we didn't have school on Monday, Tuesday was the end of the previous semester, and had an early dismissal on Wednesday, so I did not even get to meet all of the kids until Thursday! Wednesday was the first day I got to meet the majority of my kids, and they all seemed pretty good! They were extremely attentive and we got through our objectives right on time! Thursday was a little different. My cooperating teacher had to call in due to a family situation, so I had the opportunity to teach all by myself on DAY 2! I was extremely nervous, but the kids worked with me and by the end of the first class I realized I could do it! I did have some students disobey my orders, but a quick correction and students were back on task! The hardest for me to teach was Horticulture. I have a weak background in the topic and Mrs. Weaver and I planned on Co-teaching the material. I did my best and the students didn't seem to notice that I was panicking on the inside! One thing that a few teachers have told me is sometimes, you have to act like you know what your doing and appear confident, the students won't ever know the difference! So I did my best and no one seemed to notice but me! Overall, I think teaching by myself was exactly what I needed, I have had mixed feelings about the experience from the start, but now that I was put through "Trial by Fire", I feel much more confident in my ability to do better for my students!

1 comment:

  1. Toby,

    Sometimes where our weaknesses lie we end up being pushed and challenged, which results in the greatest preparedness and achievement.

    I'm going to push you to move beyond the "what" you taught and your feelings, but to reflect on "why" and "now what" or "how can I improve" for example. Keep striving to develop reflective thoughts about your week teaching/experiences as a whole and not just one specific class.

    LR

    ReplyDelete