Motto

Motto

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Week 8: Does Anyone Even Go Here?

This week we only had two days of school, and one of those days was a two hour delay, and the other was an early dismissal! In Ag Science we took samples of soil and posed a problem. In our situation we had 5 petunia plants and 3 of them died, the students then had to  problem solve as to why the plants died relating to pH. Students had to form their own hypothesis and test the procedures. Because of the shortened school schedule we were only able to run through the procedures and have not met together to talk about what happened and why it happened the way it did. For me as an educator I need to bring them back on track after having several days off of school and having them remember what they did and how they did it. When we have class together again we will go over each of the problem, their hypothesis, and review the procedures before I have them look at their results so when the look at their results again, they might remember the steps that led to the results.

In NRM we worked out our monitoring station made out of recycled pallets. The students have really gotten into working with their hands and building something from their imagination. On Monday I was able to get through a demonstration of a circular saw so that students could safely use it. None of the students have needed to use it yet, but I wanted to take the time and prepare them so when they do need it we can keep moving forward. Most of our efforts the two half classes we had together was focused on sanding down the boards before we assemble anything. Because we have a shared lab space and the same room we use for Ag Science Class is where we are building our station, we have to make sure that the space is kept clean and everything goes back to its proper place at the end of the class so we can use the space the next day in lab. I had to get tough with the students about making sure they clean up properly and sweep the area they have been working in and pick up and dispose of any scrap wood and nails. They really do not like sweeping up and cleaning up their table, so I did compromise a little with them and assigned them one table that they can always use and leave supplies on that the Ag Science class will not touch. That does mean for Ag Sci, that we have one less table to work with, but the students don't seem to notice and I group them strategically so they don't need anymore space to work. 

I am really hoping that the next week we have school everyday. I have a lot of things I wanted to get through during my time at Twin Valley, and I am just not sure if I will have the chance. Right now I only have 8 days of teaching with them and I cannot believe how fast the time has gone!

1 comment:

  1. Toby, sounds like you are employing some good classroom management strategies. It's easier to be strict/tough and then ease up as the semester progresses. Time is flying by! I'll see you Wednesday.

    LR

    ReplyDelete