Motto

Motto

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Weekly Writing #4

This past week the cohort and I finished up our first unit plan. I thought that this assignment was going to be a piece of cake, boy was I wrong. Every time I thought I was moving along I would find myself moving in the wrong direction. So then I thought, "Why not try another unit? Maybe thing will fit together with this one?" So I tried it, still not getting the hang of it! Then I asked for help and my cooperating teacher reminded me of something I have been told all along, start with the end in mind, create your objectives (what you want the students to be able to do at the end of the unit) and then add in how you want them to get there. I found that I had a very difficult time with creating the objectives, and it took a lot of effort to construct sound, meaningful objectives.

One of our readings this week also talked about the importance with making sure that students know the objectives. I guess I didn't really understand it at first, because I thought as long as the students met the objectives at the end, what does it matter. But having them know the objectives helps the students focus in on what they need to know and be able to do. Mrs. Weaver and I have talked about using a "newsletter" called "This Week In Ag Science" in our classes. Mrs. Weaver already has these in her classes and I will take over starting in January, before this weeks readings I just thought it was a listings of outstanding assignments for each week, but it can be so much more! I will definitely list out the objectives in the newsletter as well and have students read them allowed each day at the beginning of class so all my students can focus in on the topic for each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment