Motto

Motto

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Weekly Writing 5

Questions are the base in order to check for understanding in the classroom. This could mean a low level question to "test the waters", or just get a consensus of where the students are in a subject and how far do they need to go in order to complete the objectives. This could also mean a high level questions where students can analyze the content and dig deeper into the subject. As a teacher I will need to utilize both types of questions and also use them at the proper timing. This week in my Interest Approach Lab I realized that I need to work on my questioning especially in transitions. For a transition I could start out with a low level question and build on content while moving to higher level questions to connect topics or talking points.

The article did not just classify the types of questions but also how to question and give feedback. One thing that I think is important is if a student responds to a question, repeat their answer in order for all to hear. Growing up with a hearing impairment, it was extremely frustrating when someone answered a question that I didn't know and the teacher just said "good" and moved on! I never heard he correct answer! Also it mentioned eye contact and using names when questioning, I think that helps a lot with confusion and the "are you pointing at me?" scenario. Using student names helps connect them to the classroom and also shows that you respect them enough to know their names and not just say "Hey, You!" I know that I will definitely try to utilize these tactics in my classroom someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment